Sunday, August 18, 2013

Recording Tips and Tricks

I'm going to be putting together a podcast series in the near future outlining some of the recording techniques I use, it will probably be called "D. I. Y. Recording Tips For The Low Budget Musician" or something like that. As I prepare for that I will be trotting out some of the material I hope to use here, starting with: How I got one synthesizer track to sound like 4 different tracks in the song "Timeframe". This is one of the few songs I've released that has no programming involved. I played every instrument from start to finish in one take. When I was finished recording the synthesizer track I loaded it into an audio editor, in this case Audacity, a freeware program that is a must-have for the D. I. Y. musician. Google it online and you'll find where to download the latest version. Once I had the track loaded I then highllghted it from the start to the quarter track mark, this song is actually a long chord progression that is played 4 times in a row. When applying "effects" the effect will only act on the highlighted area, so for the first part of the song I went into "effects" and opened the free equalizer that comes with Audacity and tweaked the sound enough to make it stand out as being clearly different sounding than the rest of the track. Next I highlighted the second section of the song and opened "Effects" and chose a reverb plug-in that allowed me to alter the sound enough that it sounded like a different synthesizer had just entered the song. I continued on to the next two sections of the song until I had all four parts sounding just slightly different from each other, giving the song a little more colour than it had. You can hear "Timeframe" in video form on YouTube, with a bit of my "still in development" video skills offering a psychedelic panorama to watch. Timeframe at YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment